- This event has passed.
June 29 @ 7:30 pm
Virtual Author Series: Ottessa Moshfegh & Cristina Nosti
Books & Books and Miami Book Fair present…
“AN EVENING WITH OTTESSA MOSHFEGH”
Death in Her Hands
(Penguin Press, $27)
Moderated by: CRISTINA NOSTI
Monday, June 29, 7:30pm
LIVE via CROWDCAST
About the Book:
Death in Her Hands opens with our protagonist on her normal daily walk with her dog in the nearby forest woods. She comes across a note, handwritten and carefully pinned to the ground with a frame of stones. Her name was Magda. Nobody will ever know who killed her. It wasn’t me. Here is her dead body. Her brooding about this note quickly grows into a full-blown obsession, and she begins to devote herself to exploring the possibilities of her conjectures about who this woman was and how she met her fate. Her suppositions begin to find echoes in the real world, and with mounting excitement and dread, the fog of mystery starts to form into a concrete and menacing shape.
But this being an Ottessa Moshfegh novel, strange dissonances start to accrue as we follow our protagonist in her investigation. Our faith in her grip on reality weakens, until finally, just as she seems to be facing some of the darkness in her own past with her late husband, we are forced to face the prospect that there is either a more innocent explanation for all this or a much more sinister one—one that strikes closer to home.
About the Author:
About the Moderator:
HOW TO WATCH A VIRTUAL EVENT ON CROWDCAST
- You will need either a computer, a smartphone, or a tablet.
- Crowdcast is a website that you can access with any web browser. You can use Chrome (recommended), Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Edge as your web browser.
- When you access the Crowdcast link for this event, please just enter your email and create a Crowdcast account. That’s it. That’s all you need to do.
- Once your account is created, you will be brought to the event’s landing page. The timer on the screen shows you when the event is scheduled to begin.
- Just log in using your email address on the date and time specified.
- During the event, you can ask questions in the “Ask A Question” box at the bottom of the screen.
- You can also vote for other questions that you would most like to see answered using the up and down arrows to the left of each question.
- You’ll be able to see the author onscreen, but the author, moderator, and Books & Books staff member cannot see you.